Agenda for Showstoppers' Committee Meeting 2015

23th May 2015, 12pm in 34/1025

Expected

SK – Sevan Keoshgerian (President)

BW – Ben Willcocks (Vice-President)

AB - Andy Banks (Secretary)

AM – Angry Morgan (Treasurer)

PJ – Phoebe Judd (Social Secretary)

JM – Jamie Martin (Development Officer)

JH – Jess Hector (Development Officer)

CH – Charlie House (Webmaster & Promotions Officer)

CL – Cat Lewis (Tours Officer)

LE – Lydia Edge (Ordinary Member)

DM - Danny McNamee (Ordinary Member)

Apologies & Absences

Non-Committee

RJ – Robin Johnson

Munch Duty

Andy

Agenda

What a great workshop! Also, everyone loves salted and sweet popcorn.

EDINBURGH UPDATE

RJ: Dogfight is going good, we've had a couple of rehearsals, tried some pickup lines, and introduced the shoe game. We've got a few ideas for the next couple of weeks, with a few ad hoc rehearsals to take the pressure off July. We're behind on sourcing a band, because people aren't replying, but Gem and Joe tell me we're not scraping the bottom of barrel just yet. The Dogfight HubUb was submitted too, we've got forfeits on surge radio on Monday for Dogfight as well. And a Cake sale from Cooper!

Mentions of the Jamie Martin naked calendar return, if we get £500, well who knows. Jamie's not impressed.

SK: And can you do a Craft update please?

RJ: Yep. Cooper are just sorting out admin and a rehearsal schedule at the moment.

SK: I was meant to have a meeting with Cerys this morning, but it didn't really happen.

AM: Because you were still in bed.

Sassy Angry, you go girl!

SK: So there's been a few issues, I've done some talking with Aimee about the problem; they expected accommodation to be around £300, and she said that Cerys and Dan had found places for that price. However, Cerys had actually found a place for £400. We're gonna try and do our best to sort it out, as accommodation needs sorting. Fundraising, we've had films which are going great and a tuck shop too, there's an ongoing

concerted effort to get sponsorship from Manzils, the Edge and other places, it's going good far.

Discussion about Edinburgh show liaisons, whether it would be too much for one person to do both shows, whether it would be fair on Sev to do it as he's got to organise the rest of Edinburgh already, whether it should be sub-committee or other members on normal committee who are going up to Edinburgh. We decide on the

later, and hold elections.

Dogfight Liaison Election

Nominees: Danny McNamee

King Ordinary gives a comical pitch, however he is actually going to Edinburgh (with Comedy) and isn't involved in Dogfight so a safe outside voice. He's an Ordinary Member too, so it's already his job.

Danny McNamee is voted in as the Dogfight Liaison!

Craft of the Cooper Liaison Election

Nominees: Phoebe Judd vs. Cat Lewis vs. Jamie Martin vs. Ben Willcocks

Phoebe: I'm in Edinburgh too, I think I'm approachable and will be there for people to talk to.

Cat: I'm also in Edinburgh, I was a cast liaison and an Ordinary Member last year, and I think I can be

approachable too.

Jamie Martin drops out of the running.

Ben: I've not got the largest role in Dogfight, so I have got the opportunity to go over stuff with people more, I'm approachable, and I got to know the Cooper cast and production team in callbacks.

Cat Lewis is voted in as the Craft of the Cooper Liaison!

PITCHES

BW: According to PA committee, the intended slot for the Nuffield is the week of the 7th February, which would usually collide with Small Show. PA was gonna have Small Show in the 31st January week, so the week before, so we may need to think about swapping the slot for next year, if we get it.

If Showstoppers put a pitch through to Nuffield and get the slot, then we will look into moving the Small Show slot.

TREASURER UPDATE

Angry gets her little book out. It's cute.

AM: For the 24, I wanted to ask committee about show deposits and membership.

BW: Flagging membership early would be good.

Committee will make sure all those in the 24 will actually get Showstoppers Membership this year. Praise be to the monies.

AM: I've spoken to Peter too, and he said that in previous years for 24, everyone pays £2 and that money goes straight towards charity, in case the show makes a loss or breaks even.

General agreement.

Those in the 24 will also pay £2 Show Contribution to go straight to charity. Praise be to the charitably purposed monies.

SOCIAL UPDATE

PJ: Yeah, I sent an email booking the Leavers' Meal for 45 people yesterday, I'm waiting for them to reply so I can pay. With payments, I'm gonna pay for the deposit myself, but with the full cost I'm going to do that through the Showstoppers account. People need to pay in advance.

CL: By what time do we need to pay money?

PJ: I think it's the Monday before, but I'm still in exam mode so I'm not sure, Monday 1st?

AM: If I discuss it with you later, I can give you the account number and stuff, and also I suggest everyone pay a day or 2 before deadline you've been given, so you can chase late people up.

BW: You need to check who's paying for what too.

PJ: I'll be doing a form for meal choices in the near future.

AM: I'll work out what they enter when they pay. If people pay bank transfer it will be easier, as we can tell if they're having wine, etc.

PJ: I emailed about having individual courses too, they said initially that it would be a lot of hassle, but I'm still waiting for another reply from them, they're so slow.

JH: But it is good value compared to PA Ball.

PJ: Including DJ and live music as well.

SK: It was the same cost with no DJ last year!

PJ: So yeah that sounds good, I justhope that'll follow through

BW: I think for just over £25, that's great value.

PJ: The only issue I've had, is a couple of people asking why the TG meal is cheaper than our one. There's been a kerfuffle with this service charge thing they ask for large parties, so I added service charge on in our costs, and

didn't realise Ieuan hadn't because he didn't know. If he has haggled it down I'll try, but it doesn't sound like he has. Me and Fi are gonna sort out the other jokey awards and stuff as well. There'll be like some nice ones, and other "suited to us" awards.

Suddenly there's lots of laughter and madness everywhere, I'm not sure what happened. Jamie insists on handing out Freddos with all awards. Jess "killed it" (a joke, I assume? Ah well.) Swearing also occurs, in which I make an idiot of myself.

PJ: We have an event for the Sports day too, I'm sorry for the incredibly biased description, it was worse before! The day's getting sorted basically, it's all good.

Phoebe will make a menu choices form and post it on the event page.

Swear Update:

PHOEBE X 1 (50p)

ANDY X 6 (£3)

JESS X 4 (£2)

DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

AM: You did a workshop!

Round of applause for Workshopping Development Officers.

JM: And cabaret, yes.

JH: Backing tracks need to be in tomorrow midnight.

SK: Maybe there should possibly be an extension for those after different people's exams?

JM: It's difficult because we've had 40 sign ups, we need to download them all, then send the tracks to Charlie, get those onto a disc and playlist in order and such. I will make extensions for individual circumstances but it's not easy.

JH: The total tech cost is £129.

Discussion about entry price. Everyone involved, performers included, need to pay. There's a bar, and it's the Bridge. £3 entry, with buckets for additional donations.

AB: I've gone through the committee number and divided up the parts, have look when you get the chance!

WEB & PROMOTIONS UPDATE

Cat needs to go on tour (leave), so she gets all of her update/AOB out the way now.

CL: I don't have any AOB so yeah, Munch is good, I helped Robin with the Tuck Shop at Equus because his organisation of rubbish was abysmal!

Robin whimpers. Cat leaves.

CH: So yeah, I'm sorry the website broke, SUSU reset their servers and it messed everything up. No one can see

all the errors now, but they're still there. At some point, I might try to fix it.

Charlie swears!

CH: I'm tring to decide whether to leave it to the next Webmaster or sort it over summer.

SK: How difficult is it to fix?

CH: Very, over summer I will try and fix that, and also make a mobile version of the website.

A Showstoppers App is suggested, and far too many people are overly excited by this. Not Phoebe though.

Phobe has a life. And friends in the outside world. Unlike the rest of us...

CH: I've made a Workshops page too, with a list of workshop dates

Jess and Jamie will get a photo for the website after committee.

JM: Charlie had the idea, that we're gonna be filming workshops from now on to go on the website.

Charlie and Angry will make a Budget Video to go on the workshops page after today's workshop.

CH: I'm gonna do a summer reel, with stuff from picnics and stuff as well as rehearsals, to show people that WE DO HAVE FUN!

Charlie will make a Summer Showstoppers footage reel to go on the website.

CH: I've also installed Google analytics on the website, which shows that we've had 1000 hits since Phoebe put the awards page up. Finally, for 24 I'm going to be doing hourly updates, and film all sorts of stuff on how cast

members all start off looking nice, then look awful by the end of it!

Swear Update: CHARLIE HOUSE X 1 (50p)

ORDINARY UPDATE

LE: Yeah I've got exams at the moment so not much has changed!

DM: Exams?

"Exams Danny" has a lull at the moment, so he'll go to t-shirt people this week and get quotes.

Danny will get quotes for committee shirt pricing from different manufacturers.

A.O.B.

DM: I'm trying to think about how to phrase it, but could we do audition workshop before auditions next year?

My biggest general note is that we're not great at audition monologues in particular, as a society.

JM: What would be good, is if we get some directors from past years in to explain what they look for, and pick out some people who have the ability to monologue really well, and use them as examples.

DM x 1

CH x 1

DM: We could get aspiring auditionees to show us their audition material, then give them general feedback, as a whole people could really benefit from it.

AB: We could publicise it at the Bunfight, as a workshop, before Freshers' auditions so that freshers can have both a workshop, and get to know people before even auditioning.

PJ: Song choice help would be good as well, especially for those who don't have a large knowledge of musical theatre.

BW: We should try and crunch down on feedback too, as both for Into the Woods and 24 I'm still waiting feedback, and it is nice to know what you could improve on.

DM: 24 is being collated, it's on the way, we're just a bit delayed because Robyn's on holiday at the moment.

RJ: What LopSoc have done in the past, is collate a list of 10 songs per voice type from shows as a recommendation if you don't know anything else.

AM: Would it be worth collating that from the Showstoppers sheet music and dividing it all up on a spreadsheet?

Jess and Jamie will sort out an audition song choices form from the Showstoppers music, and Andy will help with some of the range/voice type bits where needed. In the coming year, we will hold an audition workshop each semester.

RJ: I will stick the Mamma Mia footage online before I leave, it shall go up, but I can't do it before exams though.

CH: I've got a computer at home for just uploading stuff if you need?

Robin and Charlie talk computer stuff. I don't know what any of these words mean laalalalalala.

BW: What's the position of the Constitution on Assistant Choreographers being in a show? It would have been easier to have known if AC's could have been in the cast?

General consensus is that Assistant Choreographers can be in the cast of the show they are AC-ing for, within reason.

CH: Those of you watching Eurovision, tweet #showstopperseurovision!

AM: Going back to fundraising, money-wise, who's got what? Is it just a case of everyone organising fundraising will get it back to the 2 treasurers at some point?

RJ: I guess so, it's kind of ad hoc, depends on situation.

AM: I realised I need to liaise with Kaus more to split the money up and things. Feel free to give me anything if you find yourself with a load of money from fundraising!

DM x 1

Swear Update: DANNY MCNAMEE X 2 (£1)

CHARLIE HOUSE X 1 (50p)

Robin awkward turtled. I cannot rember why.

Next Committee meeting at 5pm 2^{nd} June 34/1025? Room is not definite, we shall check the room bookings.