

SHOWSTOPPERS COMMITTEE MINUTES



Attendees:

BN: Bella Norris (President)

GT: Gem Tunley (Vice President)

AR: Abbie Roach (Secretary)

VHA: Victoria Howard- Andrews
(Treasurer)

NO: Nick Ong (Social sec)

DM: David Miller (Web)

PA: Phoebe Armstrong
(Development)

JC: James Carter (Ordinary
member)

JW: John Wilders (Ordinary
member)

Apologies:

CE: Charlotte Evans (Social Sec)

Non-Com:

LE: Lydia Edge

CT: Charlie Taylor

JM: Jamie Martin

CH: Charlie House

AB: Andy Banks

EMF: Elliot Murray-Flint

JB: Joe Barr

Minutes in a minute...

Tours: Gem is our acting tours officer. Show for Edinburgh is now for 'Edges', sounds super fab!

24: Show is still in the same slot, this is 10th June.

Pitches: Sunday 7th May at midday.

Written pitch deadline: Sunday 30th April midnight

Nuffield: We will not be opening pitches for the Nuffield.

Spring show: Feedback soon

Summer show: Dave did some headshots, SUSUTV's Ben McQuigg is going to do a trailer in intensive hopefully (OMG) and cast clothing to be done in time for intensive.

Help!: Rehearsals are underway

Little Puddle: Gem's going to try and be their spokes person

Treasurer: Going to get the bank details this week.

Social: Leavers meal in the planning, few new places on the cards

Development: Phoebe did a workshop! Cabaret on Monday 5th June, probs in the Bridge.

Web: Did a committee photo thing

Ordinary: Going to do general society feedback soon

Tours discussion:

AB: When we did a pitch, we emailed, many emails to many people, no reply, we decided we can't do the show we wanted to do. We can do 'Edges' but we won't be able to change ranges and bits but similar age ranges and themes and stuff. Deadline has already gone for early bird, press marketing for programme entry 16th/17th April. If we don't have a show before Easter then it won't get into the programme so no-one will know the show is on- not good. Can we have permission to do the other show?

BN: Options- do the show, committee care, or don't do a show?

DM: What about auditions?

LE: Don't need to do that yet. 4 cast members

JM: Is that a strict cast of 4

AB, LE: Maybe two alternate casts?

AB, LE: Might not go to C as C nova doesn't exist

LE: Probs go to C cubed

AB: Auditions week after follies, going to have to be daytime auditions

LE: Not ideal, but if we want to go to the fringe it's our best options

DM: Can you do a small written pitch. Is this constitutionally ok?

GT: It's basically committee care so its ok

AB: Samena said she can be a backstage AP

LE: As long as the time slots are different

JM: What's going to happen if PWC reply tomorrow

AB,LE: Very unlikely

AB: The show (Edges) is Written by Pasek and Paul

LE: Rights might not be available, so we will see

NO: What happens if you don't get rights

LE: Then we don't have a show

Tours officer-

BN: We need to talk about tours officer, I think we should have an acting tours officer, anyone?

GT: *Raises hand*, I've been two times, I can do Edinburgh. **Gem elected as temporary tours officer.**

DM: So just for this season

GT: So we would reopen this role for others in September, potentially for those who went up and think they can do it.

24hr show:

GT: So.... Theatrical rep hat on, 24hr slot is the same weekend as grad ball, grad ball is at the union so we have very little access to tech, side thing- Charlie's stage managing grad ball, so chaz not involved in 24. Basically, wouldn't be able to move earlier- wouldn't have rehearsal rooms because still exam season. Rooms need to be used for revision so can't get rooms, talk of moving to sun/mon, can't – clash with TG show in a week, half a sixpence tech run so can't get annex, can't move to a week later either because of Half a sixpence- which is also not fair on stage soc, losing 7+ hours. Moving it to 18th/19th june (after Half a sixpence). Probs wouldn't be a shift because of Show in a week, and all other events are way before. Or we stick where is and accept lack of tech, or looking at hiring from company sent to Dave.

CH: What email?

GT: Company hiring out tech

CH: Lot more expensive

GT: Yeah much more expensive, got to go through PA Committee anyway, tech committee need to be consulted too because of if they are helping. Any genius ideas, please speak now!

DM: Could you not do it earlier?

Room: No because of Half a sixpence get out and stagesoc need time.

VHA: What time is it?

GT: 5 to 5 then an 8 show.

VHA: Not 12-12?

GT: But Half a sixpence have the building for whole day

JB: Plus no-one would see a show at midday

JM: When are exams?

GT: 9th June, 22nd May start and before that is 2 independent

CT: People will come back to be in it, but a lot of people wouldn't come back to watch, so do as much as we can as is, then some people can go to grad ball and show

CH: I've been thinking about this for a while, I say leave as is, pitch without tech and anything can get is a bonus.

GT: That's what we were thinking, is there any chance if it finishes at 4, we can have radio mics?

CH: If the rack of hand mics they use we need then we won't get it

VHA: Anything?

CH: Just presume nothing

GT: Stage soc deck is SO unsafe

DM: Just do a very low deck show

CT: Use boxes and stuff from PA house

JC: Do it Friday to Saturday?

GT: They work on day basis so it's still exam season

JB: Plus, grad ball is still on the Saturday

GT: Oh yeah we won't get the tech still, can't believe they've changed it, no indication errrrgh, maybe people won't audition but peeps make decisions, **so keep it on same day**

Room: Yeeeeeah

24hr pitches:

BN: Should be do it on 7th may

GT: Love and information get in but that's ok

BN: So Sunday 7th May

GT: Midday? **Sunday 7th May at midday**

DM: I'll make the event

BN: Make the deadline for written pitch week before: **Sunday 30th April midnight**

Nuffield:

VHA: Mikado made £96.74p profit

JM: They made a profit?! Oh wait they don't have rights

Someone (Sorry, I didn't hear who it was): Tech wise- feedback from Phoebe Lewis via email, suggests we get a tech liaison because no Charlie House but that can be done later

Room: Is it financially possible?

VHA: Basically, do we want to put all our eggs in one basket, spoken to angry, we can do it, whether or not you want to do a good Nuffield, have to be careful in choosing a name people will know and outside people will come and see, something you couldn't do in annex, couldn't put as much money into workshops and other such society things

GT: Could we put money into more show contributions instead of Nuffield,

VHA: Show contributions stay same but yeah we could enlarge them, not keeping things standard, more for spending for society ie- drum kit if we don't do it, lowering price of Christmas ball, more into development, so depends if we want to dish it out or spend it.

Someone: Surely if its equal then surely we could expand them

VHA: Enlarging budget to make the show better and can afford to spend a bit more.

DM: We can afford it, with or without drum kit?

VHA: With but we would have to dip into buffer

GT: So basically accepting a £1000 loss

VHA: Yeah

JC: How do we pitch this?

Room: Free for all but we can pitch every year

VHA: Make it really worthwhile, not just an enlarged annex show, we are a non-profit society so we can spend it

CH: Non-profit, but we need to make it better for everyone

VHA: Not everyone can get involved

CH: Same as not everyone can go to Edinburgh, so not everyone is getting benefit

LE: Are there numbers for funding?

Someone: No

GT: Can get 750 from susu pot, so it's only like a 500 loss, would have to pitch without it but could get it. committees discuss but if they don't agree and change guidelines so might not be set in stone so meh

JB: Warning- people moaned last time because we opened it then closed it

JM: Pitches were rejected because of budgets and issues with shows, but yes there would be backlash if this happened again

JC: Possible to do a concert like thing

GT: Potentially if no Nuffield, looking likely, TG and lopsoc wont, pushing for collaborative show between lopsoc, TG, us and other music societies, to spread the cost, won't need to pay for rights- can do 10% without rights

JB: Still have to pay songs?

GT: Nuffield have rights so we can do some things, something to push for as theatrical rep, don't know the demographic but from a financial perspective, lots of people will come see it, if we close Nuffield discussion then Showstoppers won't be on stage by self but could do this options

DM: Each society does 15 mins or do a joint thing with TG, don't know about monies though?

GT: Could take up a show slot so issue. Room to do shows plus Nuffield but not 2 shows

LE: Tech wise a nightmare because of getting out at 11

DM: General- if we decide to open pitches, do kick ass show, with as many people and as much money, but how does this affect the other show slots, prod teams not getting money?

JM: These people can be in it

DM: We can reject the pitches if it's not going to involve many people or attract a big enough audience

NO: Cast must be this big to be in Nuffield

GT: Still a limitation to how many people to Nuffield, only have maybe 40 people in dressing rooms, talking to people who performed in Nuffield felt not very nice to walk into a half empty audience, is that better than being a full annex?

JM: Other tours opportunities to perform in other venues, for maybe independents?

Someone: Good opportunities, great for those in the Nuffield shows but this money can be used to benefit the annex that benefit everyone, Patrick said he needs stuff i.e.- new drum screen, plus the annex is always there

GT: If we chose to perform in Nuffield then another 3 years before there is another opportunity

JM: I don't feel like I lost anything

GT: But there's still a group of people talking about Nuffield which is meh for some people

JM: The quality of our annex shows has been better recently

BN: Based on NSDF feedback, make the annex better to make it better for us

JC: Maybe do what we can fix now and then see if we are still in the position next year?

NO: Make it a long-term investment, seems better

VHA: Would Nuffield pitches be before spring pitches?

GT: Yeah, Nuffield pitches before June

CH: Patrick said radio mics, don't buy radio mics, just don't, I'll talk to you later

Non-Com leave

JC: Think we should look at how we can develop the society before we think about this. What else do we plan to buy?

VHA: Nothing yet bar the drum kit

GT: We have an extra 1-2 grand to develop the society

PA: Coming from workshop feedback, I don't need that much money, I don't need any more than the funding and £250 given anyway.

GT: Still good to have some pennies

DM: We discussed last year and said same thing, could we basically give shows the money rather than contribution

GT: Yeah that could work, go to Victoria and discuss options to buy things. Stuff in PA house needs replacing.

VHA: You can make all our annex shows better or do one kick ass show

BN: Are we ready to vote? Options are to: open pitches for Nuffield, don't open pitches, abstain.

VOTE

BN: We are not going to open Nuffield pitches

GT: I can get back to you after heard back from other societies (10th may written deadline for PA).

PA and VHA leave

Spring show:

DM: Feedback open, when does it need to close?

Room: Ask Joe

DM: Close 1st week of Easter and then collate and do it after

Summer show:

DM (on behalf of VHA)- Hefty liaison with Jamie, Jamie wants to do a feedback form

DM: I did some headshots, cast clothing is sorted next week (From Jess Hector), I'm going to do rehearsal shots, spoken to Ben about trailer, kit is out but he is keen to do it during intensive week, PA update style

HELP!:

NO: Had first proper rehearsals this week, tis nice!

GT: Did a schedule

NO: Yes, we did that, rehearsals are intense

GT: Yeah squidgy and intense yeah

NO: Rehearsing until the day before tech, but it's manageable

GT: Jamie's worried about of band because of rehearsals but it will sort out fine, he has people but just not sure when to rehearse. Will be a case of working out when he's free. Callum Bates now playing keys 2 so he's playing instead of me, I can do sound levelling. I've guided Jamie for performance stuffs for him to make it more 'showy'

Little puddle:

GT: Most prod team in comedy, so unlikely to be able to come to committee, so I'll do a liaison and I can ask to be their representative for committee

Treasurer update: (Said before VHA left)

VHA: Did a handover, getting the bank details this week

Social update:

NO: Done handover, karaoke later, starting planning leavers meal, date 2nd June

GT: During exams? I would say the week after is better

NO: Ok cool, will convey with charlotte

GT: Vestry?

NO: On the cards, but we've looked at other places, Double tree- good prices, going to make a shortlist and call them all this week

GT: Liaise with TG about Olympics

NO: Yes – team flexi chick

Development update: (Said before PA left)

PA: I did a workshop

GT (At actual point in discussion): Bella and I (according to last years speech), have booked cabaret. Provisionally booked bridge and on **Monday 5th June**.

Web update:

DM: Did the committee picture thing

Room: Yaaaaaasss

DM: Going to raise with Victoria, can we get a showstoppers photoshop because I would like to use it, it's done on a monthly subscription. Logins- they are a thing. Go to resources, committee login, ask Dave how to login. Put an Instagram up.

Ordinary update:

JC: Going to do general showstoppers feedback

JW: Closing it fairly soon so few com meetings afterwards we can discuss

JC: Committee clothing is something we need

BN: Yes we need tops

DM: Polos?

BN: Capes attached to t-shirts? We should do a poll, maybe make them optional

Room: *Cape argument ensued*

JC: Jedi style robes?

DM: Got an email for t-shirt offers?

GT: Might be THE guy

BN: Charlie house says no

GT: Bad t-shirts

Room: No to this guy's t-shirts

JW: Oh we had a hand over

JC- Yeah

A.O.B

BN: Tech liaison thing, but not everyone's here so leave it for now

GT: After Easter, do production liaison too.