



## **SHOWSTOPPERS COMMITTEE MINUTES**

### **Attendees:**

BN: Bella Norris (President)

GT: Gem Tunley (Vice President)

AR: Abbie Roach (Secretary)

VHA: Victoria Howard- Andrews  
(Treasurer)

NO: Nick Ong (Social Sec)

CE: Charlotte Evans (Social Sec)

DM: David Miller (Web)

JC: James Carter (Ordinary  
Member)

### **Apologies:**

PA: Phoebe Armstrong  
(Development)

XM: Xafsa Mohamud (Tours)

JW: John Wilders (Ordinary  
Member)

### **Non-Com:**

JP: Jacob Power

MS: Matt Stanley

BM: Ben McQuigg (of SUSUTV)

JL: Joe Lynch

### **Minutes in a minute...**

**Society:** We as committee are going to push the role of the prod team liaison- they are there to help through any prod team related issues, we hope this can be utilised fully in the future.

**Freshers show:** Less than a week until opening ahhh!!

**Small show:** All is good

**Spring Show:** All is also good, taking a hiatus cos Fame intensive

**Summer Show:** Rights have been applied for, tech specs already in!

**Mr Grin:** They have a cast!

**Potential EGM:** We're not going to have an EGM- however we are going to have a meeting which we invite everyone to, to discuss how the gender split is reason to be able to say no to a pitch depending on the situation of the year

**Treasurer:** Monies coming in, monies going out

**Social:** Ice skating coming up soon!

**Development:** Cube has been booked for the stage combat workshop, Dear Evan Hansen workshop was super, last one before cabaret next week

**Tours:** Comedy are officially doing tuck with us

**Web:** Our shows are now on the SUSU website

**AOB:** Please check the times of your room bookings before your rehearsals

## **Society Update:**

Issues raised by the Fame Prod team:

“First of all: This isn’t a personal attack on the members of the Mr. Grin prod team, but in my opinion, Mr Grin is a production that, as a society the committee have allowed them to perform under the Showstoppers banner, therefore they should take into account shows going on within our society.

Hosting callbacks during our intensive week is not desirable, however there was nothing we could do because you had changed your original plan.

16<sup>th</sup> November minutes: Wednesday Friday and Saturday, callbacks to be held on Sunday. But this might change.

(Committee were not informed by the changes) 5 people in fame were missing on Monday (4 cast 1 prod team)

However, misleading us about the amount of time my cast were to be called (less than 2 hours for most we were told) is not okay.

If we were asked for approval of their callbacks to be held 6-11 we would have said no.

Changing the schedule continuously and not letting us know about the specifics of our cast was also not fair, on our prod team and cast members

– On Monday at 12:08 (which was before the final edit of the schedule) we were told, by Jacob, that Alex Wareham was called from 8-9:40, when he was in fact called 6-10

A -Changes were being made after the committee visit until the late afternoon on the day of call-backs, people called back were told they were to be called at 7, then on the day, 6.

B – Calling people in a show/intensive week till 11 is not something that is really done. When our freshers come into the run the following day and are lethargic, or have wasted their voices, it strikes out 2 of our intensive week rehearsals.

C – To add to this, the repercussions of all of this are greater than missing people from a rehearsal. During our liaison session the cast asked for more structure, which, we had given them with the recap request form, but with the complete disorganisation of our Monday rehearsal it undermined our prod team.

D - Another concern arose on Tuesday night, as the Mr Grin team scheduled the read through for this Sunday; yet another day of our intensive rehearsals lost. As You Like It and the TG EGM were worked around, but again Fame was not considered.

Ultimately what’s happened has sets a precedent for productions and their teams to be disregarded.

We raise these issues in order to prevent any situations like this happening again. There are no problems with the situation that occurred as we cannot help this occurring, however communication between prod teams clearly needs to be improved.

We suggest the following solutions/preventative measures: The production liaison should not run for any other liaison roles as there is a conflict of interest meaning that extra people are needed to get involved, meaning more room for poor communication.

A platform for intra-society prod team to prod team communication, e.g. a Facebook group including committee and all of the production teams, should be put in place. For unique situations such as this that arise, the weekly committee meeting is not sufficient, something like this would cut out the middle man easily.

If anyone else can think of any suggestions or solutions, I believe the issues raised by this experience need to be tackled as a wider topic within committee.”

Response:

BN: Fame was considered when discussing a potential clash with comedy's show and we felt it wouldn't have a negative effect

AR: I could very well have mis-minuted and forgotten to write that bit down, my bad!

BN: Re: Callbacks, this probably wasn't an issue in itself, but a communication issue, we need to ensure that if you feel that it's an issue at the time, we need to ensure its brought to use straight away

DM: Yeah it wasn't ideal having them on an intensive week day

JP: Yeah, the callbacks were a mess, due to lack of experience, we're extremely sorry!

DM: Is it worth in the future, having a set and approved date of auditions and callbacks?

VHA: The dates weren't the issue but the time it took was the issue, it took out the entire schedule and really messed us around

GT: Back in the day, there used to be no auditions/callbacks/rehearsals in other shows intensive, that seems unfeasible in the current times, there seems to be a healthier process now, it used to be more intense and what not to cover the weeks they would lose. In my opinion it's now better but that doesn't necessarily mean that we can't try and get more towards keeping it out of show week or maybe intensive. Maybe committee could have more of an input about when these days would be.

JP: Regarding the read through I assumed because our cast is so big and covers so many shows, we weren't expecting everyone to be there, we're going to do multiple!

VHA: Yeah, it's more of a communication issue, they didn't know our schedule but it's just the communication issue.

BN: I feel like the only thing I can offer, is that if you want to make something known to committee, let us know there and then. Doesn't mean that we can't talk about it more in committee at all. There are people there and there are resources. Message the prod team liaison and we can make things happen.

VHA: We've had a hell of a week, so today's been the first day that we actually had a chance of getting our thoughts together

JL: From my experience with StageSoc, we have a chat, the amount of times we've had someone at 11:30 say there's issues and it gets solved. I would suggest something like that.

BN: There could have been a way of sorting this out there and then, to solve a little bit of the issue

AR: We need to ensure the role of prod team liaison is stressed and utilised

VHA: Potentially could we choose a prod team liaison from pitch?

BN: There's an issue because they can't be in the cast and we can't corner people about auditioning and making a decision now

GT: Before prod team liaisons are elected it is part of ordinary member's job.

BM: I Didn't even know we had that as a thing

DM: We need to communicate more, just tell them or committee, if you think its gonna reflect badly on you or your show, don't worry about it, we need to encourage a communicative vibe

NO: Maybe it's a good idea to have the prod team liaison make a post in the group and go to some prod team meetings, just making themselves known

BN: For now, make sure that with any issue just post in the committee group before we make any other Facebook groups, then if it doesn't work then maybe. We haven't tried the middle road yet

VHA: In terms of everything, we've got no bad blood, everything has been mentioned and how to move forward. All is good!

JL: Radio Mics. You guys part bought them, you get offered them at a standard price, things are changing with hires, do you have the paperwork to show you bought them and have the standard price?

GT: I'll do the digging, facilities officer and all that

### **Freshers Show:**

VHA: All is good. OHMYGOD less than a week until we open!

### **Small Show Update:**

AR: Yeah, it's fine

### **Spring Show Update:**

NO: Everything's fine, feedback before Christmas, on a hiatus, cos intensive for Fame

BN: Basically, Charlie Randall contacted you about sharing the price of a bed, you said no, why? Please don't wait until they put their beds in the PA house and then use it, that's kinda snakey.

NO: Wasn't in our budget

AR: They're really not expensive the ones they've already got

BN: He's buying a slightly nicer bed that's slightly nicer, they are getting them off of gumtree so it's cheap, do you still want to do it?

NO: My first answer was no but if it's cheap then potentially

BN: Their show is soon, chat to Charlie and work out if there's wiggle room, how much you're looking at, but don't use it if you don't pay for it

### **Summer Show Update:**

GT: Have applied for rights, have submitted tech specs, gonna have TD elections tomorrow

### **Mr Grin Update:**

JP: We have a cast now, had 31 people audition, cast 17, having a read through for as many people can make it, will send you a script at the weekend, run through tech with Hannah asap, not sure how much preliminary stuff before Christmas cos shows but yeah, but start again after exams!

### **Potential EGM date:**

BN: In an ideal world we could put something in the constitution but yeah, it's hard

GT: Putting stuff in any constitution is difficult regarding this topic, because there's nothing else in about accepting pitches, it would open up a massive can of worms

BN: We can have a discussion about it, but an EGM is hard. As a committee we have been failing to provide good quality of parts and characters. It's not the fault of individual shows but we need to establish guidelines for when is acceptable to say no to a show based on what has happened

GT: Having a guideline to say we are within our rights to say no because of stuff

BN: We could make an event to advertise a meeting to talk about this with us

JC: With advice to pitch teams or teams thinking to pitch?

BN: Creating and addressing awareness, in our respective roles within the society to improve this

GT: Then making a document attached to things to state all this

JL: There's a week in the calendar where there are no PA events

GT: American Idiot auditions

BN: We can do it after one committee, I'll make an event

### **Treasurer Update:**

VHA: Having payments in for cast clothing, memberships and show deposits - will be setting up payment for ice skating soon

### **Social Update:**

NO: Ice skating social and then Broadway Baby after on the 14th

CE: I emailed dolphin to see the table situation. 3 long or multiple small?

Room: Multiple small, more social

BN: When's deadline for skating payments?

CE: About a week before, no official deadline. If it's becoming busier on their website, we'll push it

### **Development Update:**

PA: Cube has been booked for stage combat, Dear Evan Hansen cabaret workshop went well, final workshop will be next week, cabaret: gonna buy some stuff to make the place nice

### **Tours:**

XM: Comedy have officially jumped on board the tuck wagon. They've put £75 in the tuck box.

### **Web and Promotions Update:**

DM: Did the thing on the SUSU website (He put our shows on there)

### **Ordinary Update:**

-

### **A.O.B:**

GT: As Theatrical rep, check room bookings before you schedule rehearsals, check the times you actually have them from, make sure you check before you get upset with people 😊