



## Showstoppers Committee Minutes

<u>Attendees</u>	<u>Minutes in a Minute!</u>
<p>VHA - Victoria Howard-Andrews (President)</p> <p>PA - Phoebe Armstrong (Vice President)</p> <p>GPV - Gaby Puleston-Vaudrey (Secretary)</p> <p>JW - John Wilders (Treasurer)</p> <p>JC - Josiah Chamberlain (Social Sec)</p> <p>AR - Antigone Robertson (Social Sec)</p> <p>NO - Nick Ong (Webmaster)</p> <p>OJ - Oliver Johnson (Development)</p> <p>ZB - Zoë Blackall (Development)</p> <p>AW - Alex Wareham (Ordinary Member)</p>	<p><b>Mr Grin:</b> It's show week!</p> <p><b>She Loves Me:</b> Hire prices changed during show process, so some of the loss will be absorbed by show deposits.</p> <p><b>American Idiot:</b> Audition feedback has been sent out!</p> <p><b>The Trail to Oregon:</b> Up to date for this month.</p> <p><b>Tours:</b> Chasing up last house deposits for Edinburgh!</p> <p><b>Treasurer:</b> Lots of payments have been made.</p> <p><b>Social:</b> Book for the Leavers' Meal - it's sounding really great!</p> <p><b>Development:</b> Games workshop on next week - come take a break from revision!</p> <p><b>Web:</b> Yearbook order form will be out soon!</p> <p><b>AOB:</b> Independent show guidelines to be written over the summer. Gone Rogue bank account to be discussed with other committees. Leavers' T-Shirts are on their way! Mega-Pitches will not include pitches for Spring Show.</p>
<p><u>Apologies</u></p> <p>XM - Xafsa Mohamud (Tours Officer)</p> <p>BM - Ben McQuigg (Ordinary Member)</p>	
<p><u>Non-Comm</u></p> <p>DM - David Miller</p>	



### **Mr Grin:**

VHA: The show opens tonight - go and see it! Also, please all change your cover photos to the Mr Grin one.

PA: Please share the dress run photos that came out this morning.

JW: Went in to liaise on Tuesday. Collecting memberships from people (5-10 left).

NO: Have done a boosted post for the event - will do some analytics behind that to see how that goes.

**ALL COMM to promote Mr Grin. JW to continue to chase up memberships. NO to analyse boosted post reach.**

### **She Loves Me:**

VHA: I closed the budget today as best I could. We haven't been sent the hires for mics, but assuming that will be the same. The hires for tech etc. went up during SLM, so predicted loss is greater than expected. Loss is -£498.26, but £200 of that comes from increased prices which the team were not aware of at the time of pitching - money will come from show deposits to make it -£282.26. Show deposits will not be given back.

PA: Were there any people whose show deposits rolled over from SLM to AI, or were they kept separate?

VHA: They were kept separate - we only roll them over if the budget for the first show has already been closed.

JW: I will chase up the people who never paid their SLM show deposit.

VHA: Things such as the snow day also affected our presence on campus and our publicity.

**JW to chase up anyone who has not paid SLM show deposit.**

### **American Idiot:**

PA: Audition feedback has now been sent out.

JW: Rights have cost £615, with £75 for scripts.

VHA: Please talk to GT about who owes £25. Feedback should be done by XM for next week. JW, are you chasing up HP for invoices?

JW: Will do.

**JW to talk to GT about who owes money for AI scripts, and to chase up HP for invoices. XM to finish collating AI show feedback.**

### **The Trail to Oregon:**

PA: All of The Other Palace artwork, logos and the press release has been sent off, as has the press release and photos for TheSpace. This is everything for this month.



GPV: Also have spoken to BM about flyers etc. for The Other Palace, so that's on our radar, and am in the process of looking at cast clothing.

PA: BM and I are still deciding on what colour we'd like it.

GPV: There's also been a bit of discussion on the production side of things that people don't want cast clothing the same colour as previous cast clothing colours, but we're running out of colours.

PA: There will be a Gone Rogue meeting next week for everyone, but we're also pushing to have a TTTO meeting just with our team as we're aware that there's a bit of a lack of communication and miscommunication we want to sort out. Also, BW will be making an appearance!

**PROD TEAM to organise production meeting after exams.**

### **Tours:**

PA: People are now paying the deposits for the house - the final people are doing that. Charlie English is now playing the guitar for us!

**XM to continue to chase up house deposits.**

### **Treasurer:**

JW: I paid for Cabaret (Spring) - £132. CB and SLM Annex/consumables costs have been paid. £210 for CB Annex Equipment, £29.40 for CB consumables, £140 for SLM Annex equipment, and £1.40 for SLM consumables. Have also paid for Warhorse - reimbursed AR. That was £300.

AR: Do you want to send me a list of people who haven't paid for it once you start to get annoyed for me to chase up?

JW: Will do. Paid £900 for the leavers' meal deposit. £58.58 for Mr Grin reimbursed for publicity. Have taken out the float for Mr Grin today. Getting payments in for cast clothing (AI and Mr Grin) and memberships (Mr Grin).

VHA: Please can you also have a look through and see what the last few payments made to AbR were please? The CB rights were a weird set-up as we couldn't pay online, so I was paying her and that was being sent out, but we've had an invoice in the pigeonhole from MusicScope for approximately £120, which is the rest of the rights.

JW: So not sure if that was paid?

VHA: Yep, because it was dated February, but it's just come through.

GPV: I think there was an invoice AbR was expecting that didn't come through to our pigeonhole, so she got them to email it through to her and that was paid.

VHA: Okay, so think that's paid, but want to double check, otherwise I will call them.

PA: Has everyone now paid for Rent tickets?

JW: Not quite, there's two left, but both have been spoken to and are paying soon. Also have three AI cast clothing payments still to come in.



**JW to send AR a list of who has not paid for Warhorse for AR to chase up. JW to chase up cast clothing payments (Mr Grin and AI), memberships (Mr Grin), and rent tickets (AI). JW also to look into CB invoice.**

**Social:**

AR: We paid for the leaver's meal. Not very many people are coming, so please keep pushing it as it has taken a lot to organise it. We have 21 people who have said they are coming, although we still have until tomorrow, but it will cost the same for 25 people even if we have less. Also, the room fits 50 people, so it might feel very empty.

NO: Is the deadline for that tomorrow then?

AR: Yes.

NO: Okay, so we really need to push it then.

AR: I can extend it to Sunday.

PA: Can we push tomorrow as a 'the final day to sign up is Sunday', as although it's on the event, we could put that in all of the Showstoppers groups as well saying this is the final countdown.

AR: I've been designing an awards certificate.

JC: We have a social tonight after Mr Grin, so do come to that.

PA: With the comment about plus ones, I think no, because that might prevent us from seating members of the society. We can push for that if we really need to, but for now, no, as lots of people have probably just forgotten due to a show going on/exams.

GPV: Yeah, that completely makes sense! It wasn't a specific question from me, more just a general 'how does this work' question.

NO: Also may be worth messaging the people who have said they are interested, as we had the same problem last year and that worked.

AR: The only issue is we need numbers to send off orders, and make place names etc.

PA: Did you say you had 21 people going?

AR: 22 that have filled out the form.

VHA: We've extended the deadline before, so that's not a problem. If you're doing another push, it's worth stressing that it's not just for leavers.

PA: Also, would publicise it on TG, LopSoc and Comedy's groups as there has been overlap and people might be friends with Showstoppers that are leaving and want to see them before they go. Also can push it for people who have been in bands.

NO: Also, when are we opening up voting?

AR: I can do it whenever, it's all ready to go.

PA: Can we do it next week, so people have seen Mr Grin. Also have a chat to prod teams about who is considered a lead/supporting role.

AR: Have done.

VHA: Has that been done for Mr Grin?



AR: Yes, but GT is going to ask again as they have said anyone who is a named character is a lead, but so are some of the ensemble, and so GT is going to finalise it.

VHA: You did the movie night social too which was really fun.

AR: We should do that again.

VHA: Yes please - more of those!

JC: Will do once we have houses to host them in.

AR: But even during exams, that room worked really well, so will have a look into it.

**ALL COMM to promote Leavers' Meal. AR and JC to open up awards voting next week.**

### **Development:**

OJ: We did a workshop yesterday - it was really fun.

ZB: And helpful!

OJ: And next week we have exam break fun games one. It's two weeks tomorrow until we close the cabaret form so keep filling that out.

PA: How many responses?

OJ: 22 but some have dropped out so around 20.

VHA: What's usual for Summer?

PA: About 50, but then some people drop out on the day and some people sign up to do like 20 songs and then we have to ask them to choose a couple.

VHA: Cool, swanky panky.

**OJ and ZB to do games workshop next week.**

### **Web:**

NO: GDPR has been spoken about to production teams. Have a form recording what information we hold and who has access to it. Have sent a message to VP DCI, and she said there will be help - I asked if that would be in the next two weeks, and she said probably - but it doesn't take long to implement these kinds of thing. I haven't had a chance to speak to other webmasters yet, but will do. We should be fine. There's one thing on the website under the contact thing about a mailing list which needs to come down, so will ask CH to take that down or link it to the new newsletter list.

VHA: What mailing list does that even link to?

NO: One that isn't used, but need to go through that old mailing list and delete that data. That's pretty much it, there's just one part I need to look into more as I'm not a lawyer.

PA: EM should know, so it's worth talking to him about.

NO: Okay, I'll send him a message about it. Now, onto the yearbook design I put up for you all to look at.

VHA: Looks great!



NO: So the front cover is a mosaic of everyone's headshots and rehearsal pics. Thinking inside it would have some of our events, such as cabarets, 3-4 pages for each show, and then something at the end to like write in. Then maybe at the beginning a message or something.

PA: So for the shows, you've already done a couple of pages. What would be on the third page with the AI cover scheme?

NO: So that would be more photos. Will also replace the quotes with actual quotes. Will upload this to the group to see what interest there is in it, and will then ask people for quotes.

GPV: Show feedback might have some nice quotes you could use about each show too

PA: Also, could you do a Class of 2018 page with photos of everyone (3-4 pages) and quotes under/info, or like a most likely to? Because then they could be given out at the Leavers' Meal.

JC: So should we put that on with the Leavers' Meal awards?

PA: Think it could be an Ordinary Member's job.

NO: The plan was to give them out at Cabaret.

PA: If we wait a couple of days, everyone who has paid for one could have it at their table at the meal.

NO: I chose cabaret because it's more accessible, so people don't have to come to the meal to get the book.

PA: Yeah.

NO: The aim is to get them really cheap.

VHA: And make it obvious that they're not serious awards. Are we going to have a page for the leavers?

NO: Yep.

VHA: And they could then write bios if they wish.

NO: I'll upload this to the group later tonight, to see what people think. We need around 15+ to make it good value for money.

**NO to speak to other societies' webmasters and EM about GDPR, as well as to CH about adjusting website mailing list sign ups. NO to also upload yearbook preview to Showstoppers' group. BM and AW to organise 'Most Likely To' awards with NO.**

### **Ordinary:**

AW: Have sent an email to Wessex Clothing about committee t-shirts, so just waiting to hear back from them. Working on revising the society feedback form. When should that go out?

VHA: Tied to committee year, so ASAP.

ZB: How much are the t-shirts?



AW: Last year they were about £15, so probably about the same.

**AW and BM to continue to work on committee t-shirts, and on revising the society feedback form to go out ASAP.**

**AOB:**

GPV: Is there a reason Tours and TTTO update are not next to each other in the Agenda? Just because it tends to be that everything gets covered for both in one go?

PA: They're separate because different things link to each - but they can be put next to each other.

GPV: Yeah, completely understand that, it just makes more sense to have them next to each other so will adjust that in the next agenda.

NO: Physical awards for the Leavers' Meal?

AR: We were discussing that. I had the idea that the runner up and the winner both get certificates, and then the winner gets something physical.

AW: Does the winner take it all?

AR: Some people said they liked that, some people said they didn't.

VHA: It got mixed feedback.

AR: Yeah, some people said everyone should get awards because they're all winners.

JC: Some people didn't want it to be made such a big deal, or for there to be such a divide between the winners and the runners-up. So we're not sure.

VHA: From last year, it was a lot of money for not much gain. The certificates last year were beautiful.

PA: Think TG did physical awards, and because there's so much crossover between our societies people started asking why we don't do physical awards, so we did last year. With the hit SLM took budget-wise though, I think we scrap the physical awards, and then we're in a better financial position going into next year to do more.

JC: In which case, do we want different coloured certificates for the winners and the runners-up.

VHA: Sure, whatever you guys think. Paying for printing on card is fine, but the physical awards last year cost over £100 and only benefitted a very small amount of people, and then they divided opinion anyway. Think they're more hassle than they're worth.

NO: I totally agree, it was a large cost for not much benefit, and that's money which can be used for another social.

**\*\*DM arrives\*\***

PA: I got the script back from Southampton Sight - it's 30 pages long, including the songs. I'll read it through, and maybe pass it on to other members of committee to read through, and will then pass on our feedback to Southampton Sight. Secondly, I've also been approached about another independent show by JM, who wrote Help, who has





written the first act of another show set in an old people's home with the recordings, alongside a summary of the second act. He would like to send it across to me, and do a very similar thing to what was done with Help. So, I will read it, and send it to other people on committee for their feedback, then make a judgement on that. We'll then do some workshops on it, to see if there is society interest in putting it on. We also need to consider that everything I have said to both independents, was what was said to Help, which got a lot of backlash. We therefore need to change the way we deal with independents. I'm happy to write up guidelines for this over the summer, but we need to have a completely set standard for independent shows. Is that something we would all agree with?

*\*\*Agreement from the rest of committee\*\**

DM: Think that's a great idea, but if you are going to do that you need to provide a list of things all independents need to provide alongside their pitch, and say until committee have all of those things, they cannot pitch.

PA: Absolutely. We also need a Gone Rogue bank account.

VHA: Yes, we need to ensure that we can account for where all of the money goes.

PA: It will be more effort for treasurers, but we can put the Tours Officers' names on the account, just so we can keep track of all of the money. I will talk to all of the Tours Officers, and then go to each committee involved in Gone Rogue to run this idea past them, but is everyone okay with that?

*\*\*Agreement from the rest of committee\*\**

GPV: Does comedy have a tours officer?

VHA: No, but they're having EGMs to fill positions.

GPV: Okay.

PA: And my final bit of AOB, is Leavers' T-Shirts?

AW: Sure, we'll put a poll up on the Showstoppers' Group.

VHA: Finally, in regards to Mega-Pitches, we have yet to hear from the Nuffield, so as we have had the Nuffield discussion, we can't open up Main Show pitches until we hear back from the Nuffield. That's not a problem - this year, Main Show pitches happened in September, but it's just something to be aware of before I make the event that this round of Mega-Pitches will only be for Freshers', Small and Independents.

PA: Also, just so everyone is aware, you cannot vote if you are pitching for that show slot, but you do need to come back for subsequent show slot pitches.

NO: What's happening with the Summer Street Party?

PA: Think it's too short notice.

AR: And it's the same Sunday as pitches.

PA: Also, most members of the society will be at pitches, so think that's a no.