

## Showstoppers Committee Minutes

### Attendees

WF - Will Fieldhouse (President)  
CT - Chloe Taylor (Vice President)  
JI - Joe Inglis (Treasurer)  
EG - Ellen Goggin (Secretary)  
BP - Bitsy Pout (Social Sec)  
RM - Rhiannon Morgan (Social Sec)  
JG - John Galbraith (Development)  
ME - Millie Edwards (Development)  
NR - Nadia Raza (Welfare)

### APOLOGIES/ABSENCE:

AW - Adam Wilson (Web & Promo)  
TP - Tom Pearson (Welfare)

### NON-COMMITTEE:

PR - Patrick Riley

### OTHERS MENTIONED IN MINUTES:

KG - Kit Grange  
KA - Kenny Adegbola

## Minutes in a Minute



RENT:

Freshers Project:  
Welcome meeting happened.  
Rehearsals have begun online.  
Annex Slot to be booked.

L5Y/ PIT Double Bill:  
Online rehearsals going well and  
liaisons have happened.

Treasurer:  
Joe to contact HSBC and sort account  
issues.

Social Secretaries:  
Games night social coming soon.  
Potential Christmas event in place of  
Christmas ball.

Development Officers:  
Possible workshop after lockdown.  
Online workshops coming.  
Winter cabaret form to go out.

Web and Promotions Officer:  
Musical brackets being posted on IG.  
Website logins to be advertised.

Welfare Officers:  
Society clothing form to be posted.  
Family system to be considered.

Tours Officer (Other Tours):

Original Writing Officer:  
John to introduce himself as OW officer

AOB:  
Patrick organising a 24 hour miscast  
cabaret for the new year.  
Rule to be made about no rehearsals  
happening in houses.

\*\*\*This committee was conducted over a teams video call due COVID-19 restrictions

#### Society Update:

PR: I'm excited about online committee, minute that EG! Other than that nothing really, you're all doing a fab job.

#### RENT Update:

WF: No change here really, MTI haven't been in contact.

Jl: Have you had any contact with them since the first lockdown? Do we know if we're still all good with returning the libs?

WF: I got an email about a month ago saying to send it when you can but they haven't said anything since this new lockdown. So i'm assuming it is all good to wait till after this second lockdown.

[Libs to be returned in due course once we can.](#)

#### Fresher's Project:

ME: We had our zoom call welcome meeting where we introduced ourselves and they introduced themselves and it was very lovely. We are going to release some material at least one choreo or song a week so that they'll have something to work on at least every two weeks.

JG: I have also contacted all the soloists now.

CT: Have you guys booked your annex slot?

ME: WE haven't yet but we will do.

WF: If you have the dates then go for it.

ME: We've got the rehearsal schedule sorted we just need to adapt it from January onwards only because we've pushed it back and my placement with start exactly when rehearsals will start so we might need to rejig some little bits but it will be find.

WF: And have you still planned to have a social during this lockdown?

ME: Yes it has been brought up in the group so we just need to have a talk with the producers and plan that.

(WF left the call due to his laptop dying)

PR: If you're planning to do any sort of rehearsals over lockdown and you need a bit of help with it I know LopSoc are doing a very similar thing at the moment and if you want some inspiration you can speak to one of them. Also because the original plan wasn't to push back the show, it is fine still, but think about trying to get as much content over lockdown because other shows are now coming into play and want those later slots. What I'm trying to say is that because you want to push back you are pushing back into a more competitive slot. We can have a discussion another time but i'm just making you aware of it to do rehearsals now rather than wait for

everything to happen after christmas.

Welcome meeting went well. Rehearsals have begun online. Annex Slot to be booked.

Last Five Years/Putting It Together Double Bill:

PR: Not much change from last week. We are still doing online rehearsals and they are going well. Both show liaisons were successful. We are planning to do another online event soon so that the cast can be in contact with each other. We've got a trago brunch social planned for after lockdown so we will see how it goes.

CT: With the double bill, can you guys start thinking about how you are going to stream it for online audiences and plan for how that is going to work so that you have time to start preparing for that.

PR: I have a meeting with KG about that soon. We've already had one about streaming but we have another one. Also I forgot to mention but RM and I are speaking to the producers about costumes and props soon.

BP: Who does the brunch include?

PR: Yes you can come, all of our things are for cast and prod but if a show liaison wants to pop along they can as it has happened in the past.

BP: Also did you say it is getting streamed as well?

PR: Yes so the idea is to have a very minimal socially distanced live audience in the Annex and then also it be streamed to a socially distanced audience in another lecture room so that people can still be together whilst watching it. And then there will be a final live stream link to family and friends who can't make it to Southampton.

BP: Okay, and do you have plans for who is filming that or not yet?

PR: Yeah so StageSoc are going to do all of that.

Online rehearsals going well and liaison sessions have happened.

Treasurer Update:

Jl: A couple things: one is membership, I am still waiting on one person [in committee]..oh and also PR. So as some of you may know, this week we've had a bit of an issue. I've fixed it short-term but to solve it long-term it requires this form. Now, this form I have filled out but needs two signatures from the societies Secretary.

Jl: Then I will need to post it to HSBC headquarters and it's all got very technical.

EG: We'll sort something out for my signatures Jl.

RM: Is that the long term solution?

Jl: Yeah so basically this form hands the account name from RM's sister [2016 treasurer] to me. Which then means that I can hand it to the next person.

CT: Thank God that someone is finally doing this! Every year the treasurer is like "we'll just fix this later".

NR: I'm confused, what has RM's sister got to do with this?

Jl: So basically every single time there's a new treasurer you are meant to sign the account over to the new person, which makes sense, but the last three haven't done that. So the account is still in RM's sister's name. But when I was on a call the other day to sort something I couldn't do what I wanted without changing the account details.

Jl to sort out account issues.

#### Social Update:

BP: So RM and I had a chat yesterday and we're going to make a post at the end of the week, obviously we are counting the Harry Potter Quiz tomorrow as a social, and then next week we'll put a poll up for something to do Friday evening. So far we've thought of Jackbox, the scribble one (Drawasaurus), psych.

CT: Cards against humanity?

BP: The double bill is planning a cards against humanity fundraiser so I don't want to put that on as an option and do it too much.

CT: It doesn't have to be the showstoppers one, just use the free online website one.

BP: After lockdown we don't really know what's going to happen so we might be able to fit one in person one in before christmas.

RM: There will be no christmas ball :( We can do a virtual one? Everyone dress up, bring your own food. Everyone can have a takeaway.

CT: We could do a christmas movie night?

Games night social coming soon. Some sort of virtual Christmas event potentially to happen in place of Christmas ball.

#### Development Update:

JG: So we are planning a games workshop for when we are out of lockdown but we might not be able to obviously planning on when the government is making us go home or not. The cabaret form will be coming out next week. We've only got 2 weeks left of long down so we will definitely do something but what that is remains to be seen.

Jl: How are you doing cabaret?

JG: Like the last one but not miscast.

Jl: So that will be loads of solos then right?

JG: Not necessarily because we will have a period after lockdown where people can meet up to film them together.

BP: When are you going to do that? Will it be a Christmas thing or are you putting it off to next year?

JG: We are planning to do one before Christmas and then the next one will be hopefully somewhat near normal by the next one so we might be able to do it in person.

RM: Can we do a committee number?

CT: JG and ME if you come up with some suggestions, put them on the committee group and we will vote on them.

Possible workshop for after lockdown. Winter cabaret being organised.

#### PR's AOB (summarised in bullet points below):

PR: I have to leave early so can I do my AOB now?

CT: Go for it

PR: I have a plan, a mini project that I wanna do, but basically it is a 24 hour miscast

cabaret. So it's an idea we can do another miscast thing as I really enjoyed the one last time and it is something that everyone in the society can get involved with and sing something. Just like a cabaret but with the added time pressure of doing it in 24 hours. For the time process, everyone who wanted to do it would sign up, be put in a group. There will be a list of very well known musical theatre songs and songs done in recent previous showstopper shows. The list would go out so that people could see them and make sure they knew them roughly. 6pm on a Saturday everyone would meet up, could be done in different ways because of room capacity. Then at 6pm all the songs would be revealed and assigned to everyone and the idea is they'll have 24 hours to rehearse the songs and film in professionally to have it edited all into one video. There'll be a group of MDs who hopefully will get some people who want to do an MD role but don't want to do a whole show and just try out teaching a few songs. Few videographers, 1 of 2 doing video updates every couple of hours like a normal 24, and then 1 or 2 people there to receive all the videos and edit it all together. There will be a host who will be picked out and will make the videos to go in between. And all of these people can be in the cabaret because we are not limiting anyone. Then 6pm the next day everyone meet up again, we hope to have everyone in a room together but if that's not possible then it still can be done in an online viewing, then everyone can watch it! If it needs to be it can be done online entirely, or if we get to the stage of having to be in the rule of six that still covers everything in the plan. It also means Stage Soc can do a bit more in the Annex too which is always a bonus! In terms of money, we just need some money going towards buying sheet music if we need to but most we should be able to find for free online. And in terms of income obviously we'd ask people to pay £3 just like a NSSC or a normal cabaret but there is not really any massive expenses so it is up to you JI but I don't think it warrants a normal budget as StageSoc are happy to waver that entirely.

#### Project Plan:

- List of very well known musical theatre songs and songs done in recent previous showstopper shows.
- Everyone who wants to can sign up and will be allocated into groups and then will be assigned songs.
- 6pm on Saturday meetup, songs revealed/assigned, then have 24hrs to rehearse the songs and film it professionally to have it edited all into one video.
- 6pm the next day everyone meet up (in person if possible but if not an online viewing) to watch the cabaret.
- £3 will be charged to view, like we would for a NSSC or normal cabaret
- StageSoc have been spoken to and are happy to help put it together

#### Prod Team Roles:

- Group of MDs (giving people the option to try MDing without the commitment of doing a whole show)

- 1-2 Videographers filming updates every couple of hours like a normal 24
- 1 or 2 people there to receive all the videos and edit it all together.
- There will be a host picked out
- Everyone will have the opportunity to also be in the cabaret and not just limited to prod team

BP: when did you say it would be?

PR: I haven't set a date yet. It could be done any point of the year.

BP: Probably next year though?

PR: Most likely March time. I have no one together for this at the moment because ideally what I like for, and I need to speak to JG and ME about this, but ideally I would like to have a producer and MD workshop run before we get into this so that new people can tryout what they have learnt in the workshop in these roles as this is less than what you would have to do for a show as a nice stepping stone.

BP: Also what would you be in it? Director?

PR: No so there won't be a director or anything, I will be there purely just to organise everything and get involved.

Jl: So if you are doing £3 entry I can times that by the number of members in the society and give you that as a fund which you can go in to if you want to as we are a charity at the end of the day and don't need to make any money, is that okay?

PR: Yeah that would be fine. Roughly out of interest how many members do we have?

Jl: Only 20 that have paid membership so far but I'd guess around 60 at the moment.

PR: To be honest if you gave us just £60 that would be enough for sheet music.

RM: Regarding sheet music, KA said he had access to loads of free sheet music that I think he's sent to CT and WF.

PR: What happened to the Showstoppers sheet music?

CT: I believe it is currently in the PA house.

[PR organising a 24 hour miscast cabaret event for the new year.](#)

(PR left the call)

(AW joined the call)

Welfare Update:

NR: I have the form for society clothing that I will post. Also I am doing the Jazz dance society and they have started doing this thing called "families", you know where you go to college and you have like a college mum. Do you think we should do something like that for showstoppers?

RM: Yeah that sounds cute!

NR: The thing with showstoppers is we already have people in groups because of people in shows and things, but I am not in that many so I know I would like to be in more.

CT: That is across dance rather than in society right so you could do it more like a theatrical thing?

EG: In cheer they did it where you got put into families with people from your own and different squads and then the whole point is that they ran things to gain points in your family group. So, for example, if you went and saw one of them in one of their

shows then you got points for supporting your family members. And they'd do family game nights so if you can think of things to do with it it is a good idea.

NR: The idea was that they can have a support network that is smaller than like officially going to someone if they were feeling a bit naff. It's kind of difficult to force people together.

RM: I think quite a few societies do that.

NR: I can do a poll on it to gauge interest.

[Society clothing form to go out. Showstoppers families to be considered.](#)

Web and Promo:

Nothing

Tours Update:

Nothing

Original Writing Update:

JG: I will do that post that I said I was going to do soon.

CT: Are you admin of the original writing group?

JG: Yes.

[JG to introduce himself as OW officer.](#)

AOB:

RM: It was brought up in the L5Y liaison session, would it be worth after lockdown, this might not be until the new year, but when we can have rehearsals in person again to say that we shouldn't allow rehearsals to take place in houses? Because of the whole PR getting infected and other people getting infected that if it can't take place in a room on campus then it shouldn't take place in a house. We also suggested that if you're not singing, wear a face mask but I don't know whether we should just say not to do rehearsals at peoples houses.

CT: Yeah I think a blanket rule of from now on no more rehearsals at peoples houses, I think the ones we had were extreme circumstances but if we get into an issue with room bookings again then tough because we had so many people get infected.

[Rule to be made about no rehearsals in houses.](#)